Tuesday, June 16, 2015

I've Accepted the #Bookaday Challenge! I Challenge You, Too!


When we were younger, my sister and I were very lucky to have the top bunk of our orange and brown shag carpeted motor home all to ourselves. It was our home away from home during the summer months, our secret lair away from our annoying little brother...and our reading cave.

Yes, that's me with all of the crazy hair!  At least then it was the 80's & I had a good excuse!

Before a trip, whether a trek from Ohio to Florida or a weekend jaunt to the lake, my sister and I would fill the corners of our bunk with pillows, stuffed friends, and books.  Lots and lots of books!

Each week during the summer, my mom would take us to the Canfield Library where we would fill our brown grocery bags with as many books as we were allowed to check out with our green paper library cards (this was before the days of the cool I Love My Library recyclable totes).

In the dog days of summer, it seemed as if we had nothing but time for reading. Now a mom, wife, educator, and student, I fondly reminisce about my reading cave, and that precious, quiet time devoted to reading.

My time may not be quite anymore sharing a house with my husband, three sons, a large dog, two cats, and a bunny,  and I may not have a space free of Legos and Nerf bullets, but with some effort, I am still able to carve out that precious...and much needed...reading time.

This year, I have accepted the #Bookaday Reading Challenge.  Several years ago, Donalyn Miller, author of the Book Whisperer and one of my educational heroes, created this challenge as a public way to commit to reading through the summer months. You can read more about the #bookaday challenge Donalyn Miller's blog.

So, I am publicly committing to read one #bookaday and I am hoping I can inspire you to accept the challenge as well.

Donalyn's #bookaday rules are simple:
  • Set your own start date and end date.
  • Read one book per day for each day of summer vacation. This is an average, so if you read three books in one day (I know you’ve done this!) and none the next two, it still counts.
  • Any book qualifies including picture books, nonfiction, professional books, audio books, graphic novels, poetry anthologies, or fiction—children’s, youth, or adult titles.
  • Keep a list of the books you read and share them often via a social networking site like goodreads or Twitter (post using the #bookaday hashtag), a blog, or Facebook page. You do not have to post reviews, but you can if you wish. Titles will do.
(Reading Is Its Own Reward: Summer Reading and the 7th Annual #Bookaday Challenge, Donalyn Miller, 2015).


Like everything else in my life, I have to have a game plan.  I have been collecting amazing titles, both hard copies and digital books, to keep me busy for the next few weeks!  Hopefully, you will find some titles you may want to add to your reading lists!




I can't wait to see what you are reading, and to add your titles to my to-read list.

Happy Reading,
:) Jennifer





No comments:

Post a Comment